Monday, June 22, 2009
A New Kid By Friday
Sometimes the whole parenting game eludes me. Sometimes I just need a refresher. And sometimes I just need help. I heard about this book called, "Have a New Kid By Friday", by Dr. Kevin Leman. I have liked a couple of his other books, and thought, why not? Honestly, I am not far enough into the book to give a glowing or negative review. However, I had to wait two months to finally get it from the library. There was apparently, a long list of people that wanted new children by Friday. I probably should have just bought the book, but I hate spending money on something sight unseen, so I waited. When I finally picked up the book from the library, my kids were with me, as they usually are. I tossed the book into the front passenger seat, and I heard the indignant, "WHAT is THAT book called?" This was from my very fluent reader. I picked it up, read the title aloud, and started the car. I wasn't prepared for the onslaught of protestations, demands, and idle threats. Such as, "I am going to read that book first and make sure I don't do anything it says." "Why do you want us to change?" "You had better not read that book!" And so on. Part of me wanted to say, "This right here. This little tantrum, is EXACTLY why I am reading the book." My seven year old just doesn't get, that it really isn't all about her or her younger sister. It is about equipping me to be a better parent (assuming the book pulls off its promise). We will see how it goes. If it is excellent, maybe I will buy all my friends copies.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Interested to see what you think. I too got this book from the library probably 3 months ago or so after waiting a long time. I started it with much anticipation. Honestly, I barely finished it. Maybe I was missing something but it just didn't seem like many new answers or great ideas.
Post a Comment