I am a klutz. I like to pretend that I am not, but it manages to sneak out once every couple of days, if not more. In my old age, I have learned that it is all about how you play it off, so I always try to exude an "I meant to do that" attitude. High school was a time of perpetual anxiety, I was dreadfully shy and coupled with my general awkwardness in managing my limbs, I lived in mortal fear of looking stupid.
The other day, I tripped on my flip flops, and fell rather dramatically into the driver's seat of my van, this entrance startled my youngest child. "Why did you get in the car like that?" I debated how I should answer. Parenthood is a balancing act between letting your kids know you are human and often do embarrassing things too, and conveying unquestionable authority that indicates that because you are a parent you know everything and rarely do things you don't mean to do. Wishing I was a tad more graceful, I owned up to my flaw, "I just tripped on my flip flops. I know I looked goofy." She agreed whole-heartedly that I did, and then gave me sage wisdom from her seven year old lips, "Mom, you have to be careful with footwear. Flip flops are fairly feisty footwear." Not wanting to break the momentum of the F's, I said, "For real?" She answered, "You see, flip flops are feisty because they think it isn't fair that you forget them all year except for when it is hot outside. Because they are feisty, they try to make you look foolish." I felt like I was talking to Mr. Popper's secretary with all the alliteration going on in the conversation. It was all I could do not to laugh, but she was quite serious. "You need to be careful when you wear flip flops mom, because they WANT you to look silly. It is payback for leaving them in the closet most of the year." And there you have your fashion insight for the day. Flip flops are against us! Seems much more plausible than me just being clumsy.
1 comment:
I certainly love our girl..
Mom
Post a Comment