Sunday, August 12, 2012

Ramping Up

My blog entries have been scarce lately, and I keep thinking that my time will free up soon, but when one obligation drops away another rushes in to claim my time and my mind. This coming week is no exception to the chaotic life I am currently leading.  In a fit of sheer delusion, I told myself that I would find time to paint the interior or my house before school starts for us.  It needs a coat of paint desperately, but I am filing that under, "it ain't gonna happen anytime soon", and I am just going to have to be okay with that for now.  Additionally, I had the horrid realization, that I have not composed our notification letter, curriculum list, and study outline for our homeschool notification that needs to be submitted by the first day of public school in our district.  Homeschooling families are big on sending this documentation out at the last possible minute, but I like to have it done and ready to send earlier, just in case.  The problem I discovered tonight is that while I thought my husband had backed up everything from my last computer before it died a horrible death, he did not.  Therefore, all of that previous notification work is gone.  I can't pull up the documents from last year to modify.  No, that would be too helpful.  I must start from scratch. 

This week is also my birthday, and I am not quite sure I am going to find time to do much celebrating for that.  My hubby bought me some new stainless steel cookware today... though he teased that was my gift, I am really crossing my fingers that he has something else more personal up his sleeve.  However, I am extremely thrilled with my new pots and pans.  Aside from those impending festivities, whatever they may be, I have to attend an Open House for our new homeschool co-op, attend one last training meeting for that co-op, and find time to train the new church secretary that is replacing me. Additionally, I need to map out at least our first week of school lessons, preferably more, since we are starting school next Monday. 

Truthfully, I am longing for the sanity of our school schedule and our normal routines.  It isn't really less busy, but the events that are scheduled are much less random. I do want to be more intentional though about my commitments.  I find myself volunteering here and there for committees and jobs, or being volunteered by someone else, and I need to learn to not commit to anything without thinking and praying first. It has been a huge frustration point for my husband that I am in such high demand by others. On one hand, I think I like being needed, but on another, I know I need to step back and help those that need me the most first. Besides, as a friend once told me, I might be stealing someone else's opportunity to serve. 

Lastly, in addition to longing for routine and more predictability, I am also longing for fall.  The cool weather that we had on Saturday, was just tantalizing enough for me to eagerly anticipate my favorite season. I wish fall would last six months of the year.  There is something invigorating about the fall, at least to me.  

There you have my less than concise ramblings for today. Stay tuned for more random thoughts in the near future!

1 comment:

caseycockerham said...

Me too! I was thinking the same thing on Saturday...I LOVE Fall!