Sunday, November 2, 2008
Flying Horseshoes
I have always heard the saying that "close only counts in horseshoes", and today I came into actual contact with horseshoes. Believe me, it counted. I had just finished mowing the yard for my husband, perhaps in tomorrow's blog I will divulge why he was unable to do this particular chore this weekend, but as I was closing the doors to the shed after parking the mower, I was hit in the head. Hard. I was partially in shock as I internalized horseshoes raining down around me. As I grabbed my head, I couldn't comprehend why old metal horseshoes were falling from the ceiling of the shed. I stumbled out of the shed, wondering if I should finish closing the doors, scrapped that idea, and made my way to the back porch as I saw my husband rushing to the back door. The sound was loud enough that he heard it clear inside the house. As he made his way out to the porch the actual blinding pain hit, and I held my head and started screaming. I think I was in shock the first 15 or 20 seconds after I was hit. It was surreal how the knot actually grew in seconds. We managed to get ice on it fairly quickly, and I cried, a lot. Through my many tears, I managed to ask, "Why were there horseshoes over the shed door?" At the very least, this was bad placement, but I couldn't figure out why we had them in the first place. This is the answer that I got from my husband, "When I was cleaning the shed I found those horseshoes, and somewhere in the back of mind I remembered throwing away horseshoes is bad luck. Then I remembered that it is ALSO bad luck if the shoes aren't placed a certain way, so I made sure I propped them up in a U-shape." Thank goodness for that. I would really hate to think of the bad luck it would have caused if they had been the other way around. The absurdity of it all was enough to send me into fits of hysterical laughter. Clearly, my husband has discarded the whole concept of good and bad luck when it comes to horseshoes at this point. He is tossing them out the next chance he gets. As for me, my head still hurts, and my neck is killing me. We are not sure if I was actually hit by two horseshoes or if the one that hit my head caused additional neck problems. Either way, I am not feeling stellar at the moment. On the plus side, I did not black out, vomit, or experience dizzy spells, and Dr. Husband checked the pupils of my eyes, so no concussion. That is a good thing, because I don't think I could stay awake for 12 hours. The events of this weekend have exhausted me completely.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment