Thursday, February 5, 2009
Don't Mess With Me
Today has been one of those days where everything has kind of made me feel edgy. My children have not been able to keep their hands off one another, and we are not talking hugs. My youngest has an offensive spitting habit, that she thinks is cute, but is rude and annoying. We have been preparing for the world's longest Valentine's party that we have to attend tomorrow...3 hours! When we signed up to attend I thought it would be to exchange some cards, have some cupcakes, and be done. After all, I want my kids to be able to enjoy these types of things, but 3 hours seems a bit extreme. We spent this afternoon decorating shoe boxes as Valentine themed mailboxes, and my eldest carefully selected which cards she wanted to give to 40 different people. After a couple of hours, I was losing my mind. I resorted to helping her fold the cards and place the stickers on them to keep them closed, so that I could eventually have my kitchen table back. It did amuse me however, that she chose to give a Snow White card to one little girl, because she was still mad at this girl for tearing her shirt (accidentally) the last time she saw her. The little girl won't have a clue, but my eldest does not like Snow White, so in her mind, it is payback at its finest. I needed to run to the grocery after my husband got home, and the grocery never seems to go well as of late. Our local store was running a sale on half gallons of milk for $1, but the kind we drink was all out. The man working in the back said to just tell them up front and they would give me the same price for a regular gallon. I grabbed two gallons, and headed for checkout. I was three feet from entering a line, I had 11 items, when an older man with a cart overflowing darted in front of me. He just stared at me. I so badly, wanted to say something, but I bit my tongue and got in a different line. Then the twerp ringing up my order, said that he could not give me the same price on the milk, because they just don't do substitutions. I explained that the man working in the back had been telling a lot of people that they did in fact do substitutions, and they needed to get their stories straight. He offered me a RAIN CHECK for milk. I said, "I don't want a rain check for milk that I need today." He informed me that I could pay full price. To the annoyance of everyone in line behind me I said, "You need to call a manager over." So what does the twerp do? He calls the manager over, and says, "Oh, and bring a raincheck with you." The associate manager came to the lane, and I explained the situation. She told him to ring it up at the discounted price, and she would go have a word with the guy working in the back to set him straight. I couldn't help but feel slightly triumphant. as the cashier looked annoyed that he didn't win this argument. I probably would have backed down if I had not been told by a store employee that I would not be charged the higher price. I am still a bit on edge, and my husband has sent me to bed, which was probably wise. Hopefully, tomorrow I will feel more like myself, but maybe not, I have the world's longest Valentine's party to endure.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment