Monday, February 9, 2009
When Imaginary Friends Go Bad
Earlier today, while I was in the kitchen, I heard my youngest howling. My eldest was working on schoolwork at the kitchen table, so I knew she was not the cause. Rushing down the hall, I fling open the playroom door to find my little one sobbing. "What happened?" I asked. She was crying so hard that she couldn't speak. I picked her up and asked again, "What happened? Did you hurt yourself?" Through her sobs she manages to utter, "Rosie hit me." I was a little bit exasperated. Rosie is her imaginary friend, and not a nice one at that. I said, "You tell Rosie that she is not welcome at our house anymore." Really. I have enough to worry about with my two real children getting along. I don't need to throw an imaginary one into the mix. She seemed to perk up at my demand, and I thought maybe, just maybe, we could get rid of Rosie once and for all. Then a couple of hours later I hear her talking to Rosie again. I said, "I thought I told you that Rosie wasn't allowed to come over here anymore." My youngest looks at me as though I am the dumbest person in the world. "Mom. That Rosie was the Rosie with ORANGE hair. This Rosie has blue hair." Oh. My bad.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment