Thursday, April 28, 2011
How Much is Too Much?
And here I am, three days into my blogging, and I once again am struggling with the honesty factor. I know what I want to write, but there is the distinct possibility that I will offend someone. Do I NOT write about the topic at hand, or do I sit and stew about what is brewing and simmering in my brain? I could be politically correct, but people that are pc kind of annoy me, and it would be a tragedy to annoy myself. Such a conundrum. I guess, I should preface this by saying that this information was relayed to me by a man (also known as my husband), and it could have been his interpretation of events. But the gist of the matter is this. A momentous family event is on the horizon. It has been planned already by other family members, and if we feel so inclined, we can contribute monetarily to said event, but if not, "whatever". First I must be clear, that I often organize the giving of joint gifts and events with my brother, so I am not opposed to that tactic in general. However, I don't plan a gift or event that I would like his monetary contribution to go towards, without talking options with him first. Second, I don't plan an event, and announce what it costs, and say, "If you can't give anything that is 'fine'." Which in woman language means it really isn't fine. And which also indicates, I kind of assume you are a loser, and I know you won't help out anyway, so "whatever". If we give a lesser amount than what would technically be our responsibility, we fulfill the loser prophecy. If we give the requested amount, when put in perspective, it covers quite a lot of expenses that we regularly have. My husband and I did discuss fundraising activities: sperm donation, both from him AND the dog. Plasma donors, all four family members, but we figured that MIGHT be hard on our six year old. I have to be downtown this weekend anyway, so it was discussed that my husband could cover one of the highway on ramps and hold a sign that reads, "Will Work for Party Funds". We even discussed starting a business based around this whole situation. An insurance company of sorts that reimbursed monetary contributions for unexpected family gifts or events. Something along the line of George Costanza's brainchild "The Human Fund...Money for People". Only ours would be a real fund,where people pay a minimum monthly amount, and can later withdraw funds up to the amount they are insured/covered, proof of receipts required. Brilliant, no? In the end, I feel as though we are caught between a rock and a hard place. We are damned if we do, and damned if we don't. It is just different levels of damnation. Is that enough swearing yet? Feel free to post any helpful fundraising activities in the comments section, and since this event is being generated on my husband's side of the family, if you come up with the suggestion of "selling your body" please note it will be his, not mine.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I've made 2 donations already. We now have $10 towards the fund!
Post a Comment