Friday, April 29, 2011

It's A Great Day for a White Wedding!

Every girl, at some point, enjoys a fairytale.  I am no exception.  30 years ago, I saw a fairytale wedding take place between Prince Charles and Princess Diana.  As we all know, it was a fairytale wedding, but not a fairytale life in the least. That, however, did not stop me from joining nearly two billion other people in the world witness yet another such wedding today, and hopefully a more promising future for these newlyweds.  Granted, I am not so into fairytales that I get up at 4am to watch them, BUT I am committed enough to at least DVR 5 hours of the event, and skim around until I get to the best bits of footage.  My own children were able to indulge in this event with me, as I did with my own mom so long ago.  Why, you might ask, was it such a big deal to me?  My answer is simple. This is not something one gets to see everyday.  It feels a little bit like I get to witness history in the making. Besides, if you can't stomach watching a royal wedding on its historical or romantic merits, then cynics can at least enjoy mocking the parade of hats and odd fashions that were showcased  Some hats defied gravity, and some were large enough to encroach on a seatmate's personal space. And while hats in general add a sort of festiveness to the occasion, Kathleen Kelly said it best, in the movie "You've Got Mail".  "Once I read a story about a butterfly in the subway, and today I saw one. I couldn't believe it. It got on at 42nd -- and got off at 59th, where I assume it was going to Bloomindale's to buy a hat that will turn out to be a mistake. As almost all hats are." Yes, I am talking about you, Princess Beatrice and Victoria Beckham. But, once I was able to tear my eyes off of the ridiculous get-ups of some of the guests, I was enthralled. With a batch of younger royals growing up, we might be treated to more royal weddings in the not too distant future, but since this was for the future king of England and the most widely televised royal wedding in about 25 years, it held a certain distinction from the rest that may follow. At least, that is how I felt about it.

No comments: