Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Great Food Revolt

Our family has been on an ever-evolving food journey for the last couple of years. I must admit I am quite passionate about it, because I believe some of the things in our food cause adverse affects on our bodies.  The first thing that I cut out of our diet, was food treated with antibiotics and hormones.  I have no problem with animals being given antibiotics to treat a malady, but to use as a precaution doesn't set well with me. Injecting animals with hormones so that they produce more milk, eggs, have larger breasts (for chickens), etc. is not only cruel in my opinion, but if we are consuming hormone laden meats, how does it affect us? Actually, I could get on a soap box regarding food, but I won't bore you with that. Instead, I will focus on the great food revolt that is currently occurring in my home. 

About three weeks ago, my husband was finally ready to jump on my latest bandwagon, which is cutting out starchy carbs.  If my kids had a choice, they will always, always, reach for the carbs: bread, crackers, cereal, pasta.  That stuff was making up most of their diet.  Instead of meat they wanted macaroni and cheese, or they would want to substitute dinner with cereal. I am a cereal and bread loving girl myself, but I know those aren't the best choices. If they are here then I will eat them. I tried expunging them from our house long ago, but the hubby wasn't on board, and when he isn't on board with something regarding food....well let's just say it isn't worth the effort.  Now, that he is with me on this, the children have lost their ally. Gone are the loaves of bread and cereal boxes. When my children open a cupboard, it is bare.  Before you think I have become Old Mother Hubbard, my refrigerator is chock full of snack options: grapes, strawberries, apples, carrot sticks, celery, fresh pineapple, blueberries, broccoli, cherry tomatoes. However, when the children open the fridge they wail, "There is nothing to eat!" Like I said, we are only three weeks in, but each week gets just a little better. The other day, my youngest, aka The Pickiest Eater in the World, resorted to snacking on an apple.  She doesn't do apples and never has, but she grabbed one and gave it a whirl. There were little gnaw marks all the way around that apple. My heart soared. It is still a daily battle on some levels, but we are taking baby steps in the right direction. And small "wins" like a gnawed apple reinforce the goal to get our family to make the better food choice in the future. 

No comments: