Thursday, July 28, 2011

How to Look Sassy in One Easy Step

Having been a parent for the last nine plus years, I have seen my kids do a lot of dumb things. If I am being honest, I probably should admit that I have probably done some dumb things as a parent too.  But here is the thing, I always like to at least hear my child's reasoning for committing the crime of not "using her head for more than a hat rack". That by the way, was one of my mom's favorite phrases when I was a kid. I have never uttered those words to my kids...yet.

Tonight, my youngest had a bit of fun with scissors. A decent sized chunk of her hair is now several inches shorter than the rest.  That being said, she did a miraculously decent job of not making it obscenely noticeable. However, I was perplexed. What on earth would possess her to cut her own hair?  Especially since she got a super cute new haircut not that long ago.  In fact, she was scheduled to have her hair cut again on Monday, but decided that she didn't want it done after all, so I canceled the appointment.  Only to later have her change her mind again. I told her that she had missed her opportunity for that day, but I would schedule another appointment again soon.  Apparently, it was not soon enough.

I asked her, "Why would you cut your own hair?" Her statement was very matter of fact. "I had the scissors, and I just decided I wanted a new sassy look." I guess I am aging, because I have no idea what constitutes a "sassy look" to a six year old. I asked her to explain. "You know mom, sassy is like a rockin' cool look." Oh, well THAT cleared it up for me."Did you feel like you achieved this new sassy look?" She hesitated.  I could tell that she did not want to admit that perhaps she hadn't pulled off sassy. Fessing up she finally said, "Well, not exactly." As I probed for further details as to the when and the where, as in where was all chopped hair, her mind became fuzzy. She wasn't sure when she did it, which translates into "today", and she couldn't remember what she did with her hair, which translates into "I know exactly where it is, I just don't want to tell you".

As I was relating the incident to my husband, my youngest disappeared.  Within moments, she returned with a handful of hair. Obviously, her memory had cleared. "See it's not that much." It sure looked like a lot to me, but I refrained from any further commentary.  We disposed of the hair in the trash, and meted out the consequence that she is banned from scissors until further notice. When I asked her where she stumbled upon her cut hair, she casually replied, "Oh yeah. I found it in the kleenex box. Under all of the kleenex. Shoved under my bed. Behind my sock basket." Practically in plain sight.

So make a note.  If you want to look sassy, grab a pair of scissors, a chunk of hair, and whack off several inches.  And make sure you don't use a mirror, that just ruins the rockin' cool surprise.

No comments: