Tuesday, July 5, 2011
Tired of Tiling
While most people were probably relaxing and enjoying cookouts for the 4th of July, my husband and I spent virtually the entire weekend in the bathroom. No, we were not sick, but instead we were attempting to tile. I found a picture of a bathroom, tiled in a diagonal pattern, around the tub and on the floor. It was lovely. And as we are knee deep in this bathroom remodel I thought we should go for it, and tile ours similarly. My husband tiled our back bathroom shower a couple of years ago, and did such a nice job that I had confidence in his skills. Of course that was a standard brick pattern. Let me just say, that tiling diagonally on a wall, is not fun, nor is it easy. About halfway into the first wall, I seriously wanted to throw in the towel. Measuring, cutting, and placement, and one little bit off on a cut, leads to one little bit off on the wall, yet you don't see it until you get to the end of the "row". Then you have a problem. Especially when the other pieces have been mortared for awhile. We persevered with the intent of fixing some problems later...ha! As my friend so wisely said, "grout covers a multitude of sins", I am now hoping that when we get to grouting, it blinds people entirely. On the positive side, neither of us can blame the other for the piss poor job of tiling because we were both involved in the mess. We just look at it and shrug our shoulders. Maybe the heinous job only stands out to professionals. Our neighbor, was very "pc" about it, and just asked what we planned to do with an edge that is still visible in our "soap cut out", despite the other edge being completely covered. We had no answer. The Hispanic drywallers arrived today, and did not speak English, but we heard them laugh at one point, and I said to my husband, "they are making fun of our tile job". He started to laugh, because the only other option is tears, and we are only a quarter of the way through! But please, the next time I even mention the possibility of tiling in my house, especially diagonally, remind me of the 4th of July tiling fiasco, and I will promptly shut my mouth.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment