I am still here friends. Just delinquent in blogging my day to day doings, which at times seem so mundane, that "much ado about nothing" feels like an overstatement. A few tidbits that I can share, is that come Monday morning my hubby is starting a new job. It was a hard decision for him to make in some ways, being that he had made quite a few friends at his last job, but the mandatory 70 hour weeks were wreaking havoc on our family life. We are both excited about him starting a new chapter, and I am hopeful that he is able to make many new friends.
We wrapped up our summer of fun, and launched into school last week. I selected a new curriculum for the kids, because I felt like we needed a change of pace. We had been using some of the same programs for several years, and I felt like we were in a rut. I wasn't even excited about teaching the old stuff anymore either. Our new choice, Heart of Dakota, has been awesome. Though I have only used it a week, I would highly recommend it. Now I look forward to our school time together, and so do the kids. Each day last week held a new project or experiment for them to do, and they looked forward to the next.
Next up, against his better judgment, my husband gifted me with a treadmill for my birthday. He wanted to be clear, that he did NOT think I actually needed the treadmill, but since I wanted one, he bought it. The treadmill and I have been on good terms for the most part, except for the night my kiddo was trying it out and fell, yielding a large burn on her leg. Three weeks later and we are still treating her wound, but it is healing well. I, on the other hand, managed to do 2 miles in less than 24 minutes today. It about killed me, but I did it. I would love to be able to run a 5k eventually. Not to compete to win a race, but just to prove to myself, that even though I am nearing middle age, I can do something new like that. When I workout, I tend to be more internally competitive rather than externally competitive.
You will also be thrilled to know, I have tried the God Approved Exercise, Zumba. I have joked since trying it that it really is "of the devil" because it is hard and it kicks my butt. But, quite honestly, I am a little surprised that so many churches offer it. There is an awful lot of hip shaking that goes on. I mean, if exercise could be sexy, this would be it. Seems a little out of place to be sexy in a church. However, let me clarify here, it is not in the least bit sexy when I do it, and I take my class at a dance studio, so should I happen to achieve any minuscule trace of sexiness, at least I am not doing it in God's house. But I digress. I can inform you that my hips were not made to move like the teacher's, and when I start shaking things, my body experiences a series of aftershocks, and takes several moments to stop shaking after I have actually stopped moving. But I laugh a lot, as I stand in back of the class with some equally uncoordinated and untoned friends, and we can poke fun at ourselves. So, all of that laughing is a workout in itself. Speaking of Zumba, we were at a festival today and my instructor was doing a demo to sell her class. She asked us on Thursday night to join her demo at the festival, but I had no intention whatsoever of doing that. In a room full of allies, attempting Zumba is fine. Doing Zumba in front of strangers, is extremely NOT fine. Besides, if my instructor wanted to sell her skills as an effective Zumba teacher, I guarantee I am not the student she would want to highlight. My husband, did not get the memo that I don't do Zumba in front of crowds though. And I found him physically dragging me out of my seat to join her. Turns out, he pitied her because no one went up with her. As far as I was concerned, that was a risk she should have been willing to take. However, he and I were making a scene, and the more I fought to not join in, the more I felt like people were staring. I must admit, I cursed my husband, a lot. After, making a spectacle of myself and having to quit mid "zumba" because I was lost, I went back to my husband and said, "You are going to pay for that." He admitted, "There was an inner voice telling me that you might hate me a little for pulling you up there." Needless to say, I advised him to listen to his inner voice next time.
I will try and be more faithful in my writings in the near future.
No comments:
Post a Comment