Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The Christmas Letter Blog

In lieu of mailing out a Christmas letter, I bring you this instead!

Season's Greetings:

I considered writing a poem for my first ever (and possibly last ever) Christmas letter blog.  But after composing the first line, "2011 was a year that REALLY sucked" I couldn't get past the rhyme that popped in my head for the second line. Therefore, in an effort to make this family friendly, I dispensed with the poem idea and will get down to business.  The recurring theme that punctuated our year was loss.  Between the hubby and myself, we lost two uncles, I lost both grandmothers, and we said goodbye to a dear friend that was truly a family member by heart.  The goodbyes have been difficult, and we have been trying to navigate our way through this year of changes.  Admittedly, I tend to be more pessimistic in nature, but as I reflect on the year I really am trying to strive to find the good in the midst of all the bad.  With that in mind, I have composed the following top ten list.

THE TOP TEN THINGS THAT DIDN'T SUCK IN 2011 

10. Reconnecting with extended family.  No, not the dysfunctional and embarrassing extended family that everyone tries to avoid all year round, even at funerals.  I am talking about the ones that you actually like, but hardly ever see, except at funerals.  I feel like our family has renewed and formed new connections with extended family this year in a really good way.

9.    Our "son", though especially hairy, never talks back. And, he is extremely good at providing company and being loyal. His mama is still his favorite, which earns him extra treats every now and then, but his soulful eyes always seem to convey that he understands and is there for you...except of course, when he needs to potty or beg.

8.   We did go on vacation this year.  True, it was piggybacked onto an out of town funeral and wasn't as glamourous as a cruise or European vacation. However, the 4 days we spent in Michigan were a much needed escape.  We had a wonderful time visiting family and friends, and sightseeing places we had never been.  

7.   We are able to homeschool again this year.  Getting to share in the successes of our children and their learning is a privilege.  It isn't always the easiest road, but it is a rewarding one....usually.

6.   After almost 6 months, our second bathroom renovation is nearly done! It is taking much longer than hoped, as most of our house projects tend to do, but it is turning out very nicely, despite the delays.  At this rate, it should be in full use by the time I write our 2012 Christmas Letter Blog.
   
5.   In our entire adult lives, we have never had a year that was as richly populated with new friends as this one. Our old ones stay near and dear to our hearts; those here and those far away. The new ones have been gifts during such a trying year.  They have come to us through the non-sucky events listed in #4 and #3, AND by marrying into the family.

4.    We began attending a new church. This place feels like home.  It has been awhile since we have felt spiritually connected within a church, and we leave most Sundays feeling like we learned something new and it actually applies to our lives. It is affirmation that this is where we need to be.

3.    The man of the house found a new job in September, one that he actually enjoys!  This is the first time in 10 years that he has had the kind of work environment that fosters the camaraderie and teamwork that he has wanted, as well as, providing challenging and interesting work.

2.    Our girls. We are thankful every day for these gifts. They are vibrant, energetic, healthy, happy, sweet-natured, girls.  They complete and (sometimes) complicate our home, and even though they are growing up SO FAST, they will always be our babies.

1.    God is still our Comforter and Sustainer. He is big enough to handle our woes, tantrums, complaining, sorrow, and grief. And for that we are thankful!

1 comment:

caseycockerham said...

Very nice! In the midst of a very difficult year, it is important to remember God's blessings. Awesome post!