Saturday, February 4, 2012

Are There Really Happy Endings?

Over the years I have tried to taper down the list of shows that I watch on television.  It seems like all the good shows get canceled, and I would rather not get hooked on a show only to have it get the axe. Not to mention, when I do faithfully invite a show into my home year after year, I have a vested interest in the characters and stories.  That way, when it ends, I am bawling like a baby because I feel like I have lost actual friends.  In a weird sort of way, I mourn the loss...of a television show!  That right there is just wrong, but nonetheless, I do it, and I strongly suspect that anyone else that has gotten roped in by a great storyline and likable characters has found themselves in the exact same situation.  Don't try and deny it. And every time I watch another one of my favorites go, I vow that I will never be bamboozled into adding another enticing show into my already existing repertoire.  Eventually, I should be down to zero, and perfectly content never to say goodbye to another show.

This plan works of course, until I am goaded by friends and family to watch "the best show ever" or a show that "is SO hilarious" or one that everyone knows that I will "LOVE"! And then I eventually cave.  The thing is, my friends and family know me.  They know what appeals to this humor of mine, and they effortlessly lead me to the wolf's den to get swallowed up. I resist.  I really do. But week after week, I am worn down, and then it happens. I am completely sucked in.

Last week marked the end of one of my all time favorite shows, Chuck.  I resisted it for two seasons. And followed faithfully the last three. And now it is gone.  Not having a DVR anymore I had to wait until I could view the finale at my parents' house, which I did tonight, with some trepidation.  The reviews I heard and read regarding the end were very distinct; either people loved it or they hated it.  But really, I mostly loved it. There was closure for each and every character in a really great way, except for the two main characters.  Their fate was a bit murkier, but was laced with the hope of a happy ending. But I hated it, because it ended in a way that I WANTED to continue with their story.  I wanted to SEE what happened next! Their ending had all the promise of an entertaining future, the kind that made us diehard fans fall in love the show in the first place.  I know it was left open, so that we viewers could decide the end for ourselves, but I don't want to be the one to decide their end, good or bad.

I feel a little guilty to be so bummed over television. Truly, I do. But feeling guilty, and knowing I shouldn't care so much about television doesn't change the fact, that I will miss these characters and their stories. Though it will strengthen my mantra, "I will not get sucked into any new television shows, I will not get sucked into any new television shows." So do me a favor, if you watch a show, and it is great and you love it, just keep it to yourself.  I will be much happier in the end if you just don't tell me, so I don't know what I am missing.  Because with Chuck, I know what I am missing, and it makes me sad.

No comments: