Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Fortunate

14 years ago today, I thought I was accepting a wedding proposal from the man of my dreams, but I wasn't.  Not really.  In fact, I am going to be so bold as to say, that I didn't even really know what I wanted or needed in a mate at that time of my life. I was young and naive.  The man that I ended up marrying, was not the man I am married to today. That guy couldn't even come close to being what I need in a spouse now. My current husband gets me, and all the crazy that comes with me.  He is my anchor in this world, and knows how to calm me, unlike any other human being. Sure, he has the same name as the guy that I agreed to marry way back when, but he has changed over the years into the spouse that I really needed. Is he perfect?  Far from it.  There are days, when I would love to send him to a class titled, "How To Find Things That Are Right In Front Of Your Face" or "The Top Ten Signs From Your Wife That Scream It Is Time To Shut Your Laptop". Usually, however, the positives outweigh the negatives, and when they don't, I generally let him know. For me, Valentine's Day allows me to reflect on the good fortune that I can claim, but can take very little credit in bringing it about. Before my husband, I never really had a great Valentine's Day, except maybe in elementary school when I received a lot of cards from classmates and prior to it mattering if there was someone special with which to share it.  So for me, this day has always belonged to us, and only us, which makes it even more special.

No comments: