Scarecrow and Mrs. King. I KNOW you are all jealous, just get it out of your systems now and go order yourself a copy. My 1980's older man crush was most definitively Bruce Boxleitner, a good looking dangerous spy, what is not to love about that? I have to admit, that while the show in 1983 seemed very cutting edge, it is kind of hilarious to watch in the 21st century. The repeated use of pay phones and walkie talkies the size of bricks, is pretty funny, but the stuntmen stand-ins are just awful. A lot of bad wigs made their debut on that show, and are the main telltale signs that a stuntman is in the scene; however, one of the stuntmen for Bruce is also shorter than he is, so he sticks out because of that. I am fairly certain these shows were never meant to be viewed on large high definition televisions.
Anyway, I have been re-watching the first two seasons in prep for the arrival of Season 3, and my husband and kids have caught a few of the episodes with me. I have to say that my kids think it is "totally cool" to watch Scarecrow and Mrs. King with me as a special treat. They are after all, homeschooled, so their definition of "cool" might be slightly skewed. These shows aren't completely kid-friendly, as there is some amount of violence and the occasional use of the word d@*%, but they are pretty tame compared to a lot of shows that air today. I love how my youngest will walk in the room and ask if I am watching an "inappropriate episode" or an "adult show" that always makes me feel like I am watching rated X movies or something. My husband, he particularly enjoys watching the shoot out scenes. The bullets always make a high pitched "pew" sound. Always. No matter what they hit or what type of weapon they are shooting. He will stick around long enough to mock the sound, imitating it in unison with the show. "Pew" "Pew". Yes, sometimes he acts like an 8 year old.
But despite his mocking of my show, he knows I love it, and that is why he ordered it for me as a present. Never mind that I could have had it on time if he had just shopped at Target. It IS the thought that counts in this instant. He is giving me a gift that will let me relish in a little bit of childhood nostalgia, and you can't put a price on that. And I really like it when he sits down to watch it with me, even if he spends part of the time guffawing.
No comments:
Post a Comment