Tuesday, December 4, 2012
My Faithful Friend
My dog, emphasis on MY, is the most loyal little guy in the world. If you are not a dog/pet person, I admit that I truly don't get that. Who wouldn't want to be loved unconditionally and have a constant companion that thinks you are the world? Last night, I was at a meeting for almost 4 hours, and when I returned my dog was happily waiting by the door for me. He leaps around when I arrive home to show that he is overjoyed. The funny thing is, he wasn't home alone while I was gone. Everyone else was with him but me. However, my husband commented that my little fellow wasn't even remotely social with the rest of them until I came home. He sequesters himself off by the door or window and patiently awaits my return. His level of devotion is endearing.
My dog recently became a daddy dog. Yes, it was planned. We have wavered about claiming one of his offspring for our own, because as our current dog approaches middle doggy age, you start to think about the gap his absence would leave in our lives should something happen. Having one very much like him would be no hardship at all. However, there is part of me that thinks that our current dog would feel very displaced not being the only dog in the house. Having to share the attentions that we shower him with could quite possibly make him attitudinal. He is a jealous dog. His little mind operates quite similarly to that of a child, believe me. So, I remain torn about what to do. It would be different if he had always been part of a "duo" of dogs, but he has been the main man his whole life. But when I see a little face like this, all of my resolve to be a one dog family goes out the window. I become a big puddle of puppy love goo.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment