Ah! The holiday season is in full swing. Despite our many and varied commitments around the holidays some of our normal obligations break for a couple of weeks, and I am super thankful for the reprieve in that area. Our lives have been so busy, like many others' lives, but lately the trend has become that we don't even have our entire family together for one evening during the week. Not one. I don't like that at all. We have been going through a "something's gotta give" phase, mulling over what events we can let go here and there in order to hold onto one small shred of sanity as a family unit.
We have also been trying to strategically dodge the stomach bug that is making the rounds in our neck of the woods; no thanks to family members coming down with it and trying to expose us. We love them all dearly and are thrilled to receive gifts...just not that one. Additionally, we have had extended family messing with our Christmas plans, switching things up at the last minute, which has complicated things as well. Thus, making the holidays even more stressful than usual, and throwing in an element of travel into it that wasn't initially there. It is no wonder that the emphasis on Christ's birth is lost during this season. Don't misunderstand me, I don't think our family is a special case, but rather we are more the rule than the exception. Everyone is juggling and running.
I wish I could give everyone the gift of time this season. Time to stop. Time to relax. Time to enjoy. Unfortunately, that is not possible, but I encourage you to take some time for yourself and your family. Even the errands and the tasks that are valuable and beneficial, start to lose their value and benefits if you are spread to thin. I know this from experience.
Here is to a peaceful holiday season for you and yours! Or at the very least a peaceful day or two.
No comments:
Post a Comment