Sunday, April 6, 2008
The Cowardly Lion?
I admit it. I like to maintain the status quo. For the most part I make a lot of decisions out of habit or simply out of comfort. I don't like to rock the boat if it isn't really needed. However, there is that part of me that yearns to do something crazy (and by crazy for me I mean something like trying water skiing again, not getting a tattoo or anything). If you saw my one and only attempt at water skiing you would agree that trying it again is definitely a crazy notion for me. But I just feel like I want to do something exciting, something different, something not every one expects me to do. I am routine focused though, because I find comfort in routines. When I go to my Bible Study on Tuesdays I try to sit in the same exact seat each week. It really throws me off when I walk in the room and the leader has switched up the seating configuration or someone has "stolen" my seat. I try to act like it doesn't bother me, but I always feel oddly unsettled for the first several minutes until I get into the meat of the study. That is just the way I have been wired. It is hard to break out of the mold. Lately, I have been trying to get into a new mindset. I feel like our family may be embarking on a change of routine in the near future. I am not against the probable changes, however, there is that slight fear factor of things simply being different. The unknown. Yet, I don't want to miss out on great opportunities, just because I am comfortable with the way things are currently. I see people around me doing that kind of thing, and it makes me crazy seeing them blow opportunities to do something new, but positive for them, and I don't want to be like that. Anyway, I think the new thing I will be praying for in my life is courage. The courage to change. I have given up praying for patience. God just keeps testing me in that area (which I hate), and then I just keep failing (which I also hate). I figure patience is just going to have to be one of those elusive character qualities for me. But, very much like the cowardly lion I am now approaching the great and powerful One to ask for bravery. Hopefully, I will be more successful at attaining that, and quickly too...since I lack patience.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment