Monday, May 19, 2008

The Planning Begins

Well summer is upon us, and the planning for Vacation Bible School is moving ahead full force. I spent two hours this evening working on lists, registration, and emails to volunteers, and this is just the beginning of the big push. VBS is being held in June this year, and while I am glad it is being held earlier in the summer, there is so much going on at our church that it is a bit of a crazy time...we are in the process of moving into a new church building. On the up side we have had a much easier time getting volunteers to help us out this year, and many more stepping forward to help. Last year, we had holes here and there in our schedule, and we needed people to come in to help for one day to fill those holes, but this year we have so many more people willing and able to commit to the whole week that we may actually have more people than we actually need. Don't get me wrong, we can still find plenty of places to put people to work, but it is a nice change of pace to actually have excess volunteers. We are also blessed to have real quality people working with us. It is always a bonus to be able to give the jobs to the volunteers and let them run with the details. Some of the volunteers truly amaze me with their ingenuity and thrifty ideas. Anyway, this year things seem to be running a little smoother, of course, that could simply be because we (my friend and I that are directing the program together) have one year under our belt, and have had the benefit of making a lot of silly mistakes and planning errors last year. I suppose there is plenty of room for new mistakes this year, but at least working as a team it allows for a slightly smaller margin of error, because there are two of us to remember details and divvy up the responsibilities. I will stop short at calling us old pros, but I think at the very least we both have more confidence in our organization abilities than we did last year.

No comments: