Monday, September 22, 2008

The House That Power Forgot

Or at least the power and light company forgot. That is the way it feels to the 30,000 of us that still do not have power to our homes. I drive by my house several times a day just to check the status, and I fight the surge of disappointment when there are no workers or trucks even present on my street. If I had a timetable, perhaps that would help, but it is the not knowing that gets a little discouraging. I swear if I had the money I would just pack my family up and head to Disney World for a week. Then I wouldn't think about the power situation at all. But really, I have no reason to complain. I am thankful I have a place to go where I can get food out of a refrigerator, lights to turn on, and water to run a shower. There are so many people that are on well water here, and when the power goes out, so does their water. I can't even fathom that. However, I drive through our community and see angry signs posted for the power company to read, but really, at the end of the day, the people here at least have places to lay their heads at night. So many families lost homes because of this hurricane, and while we are all inconvenienced, some more than others, I think we still have some things to be thankful for. I felt a little grumpy today, but tomorrow I am choosing joy, no matter what the power situation.

No comments: