Friday, December 19, 2008

Bunny Blues

This is the time of year when money is due for recital costumes. Not the best timing with it being the week before Christmas and all, but a necessary evil for those of us that have our children in dance. It is also the "unveiling" of the recital costumes, and each year I wait with baited breath hoping my child will have an attractive recital ensemble. It is a huge drag to spend $65 dollars on a costume that is less than flattering or just plain ridiculous. At first my eldest was claiming her class was going to be dancing to a song from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and I kept envisioning a dancing Hershey's kiss on the stage, complete with a pointy hat and Hershey's tag coming off of it. Thankfully, the teacher ditched that song, and I no longer have to worry about dancing chocolates, except when I am dieting. In fact, this year my eldest has the best costume she has ever had, at least I think it might be. It is gorgeous. Pink flowing skirts, kind of a grecian goddess feel to it. Very classy. Then we have my youngest. I was apprehensive right from the get go when I heard that her class was going to be bunnies. Early on in my eldest's dance experience, we saw another class that were once bunnies, and lo and behold they looked like a bunch of underage Playboy playmates. I kept thinking how glad I was that my child was not in that class. This year, I was hoping they would not exercise the same lapse in judgement as they did a couple of years back. I was talking to another mother, who had already seen the costume, and I inquired if it was "cute". She assured me that it was "super cute", and she was very excited about it. I exhaled loudly, and said "Whew. I was afraid they might look like a bunch of Playboy bunnies like they did another year." She emphatically declared, "Not at all!". Mistake number one with that conversation was my eldest overheard it, and made a comment about Playboy bunnies later, mistake number two was that I initially accepted someone else's opinion as fact. I finally got my hot little hands on the magazine with the costume picture, and once I saw the picture I know I had a very scary smile frozen in place. The mom with the seriously misguided idea of what Playboy bunnies looked like was standing right next to me. "Isn't it great?" I could hardly speak. "Wow. It's something all right." I would really love to know what is in the minds of these designers when they are making these creations for three and four year old children. The costume had no sleeves or straps at all. It had a satin pink bowtie. It also had a satin bodice, bunny tail in the back, and satin gloves (albeit they stopped at the wrists), and of course bunny ears on a head band completed the look. The only think that differentiated it from Playboy bunny costumes in my opinion was that there was a tutu. I think I said "wow" again, before I made a hasty exit. My eldest looked up at me, "So is that what a Playboy bunny looks like mom?" Curses. How to explain that one? I said, "Um. That is kind of an adult concept, so it would probably be best not to mention Playboy bunnies ever again. Ever. Okay?" I could tell she was puzzled, but she hasn't brought it up since. Anyway, there tends to be one hiccup regarding recital. I am trying to roll with it. After all, it is only one day, but being easy going is really not my forte.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember seeing the picture of those costumes from a few years back and thinking the same thing. I don't know how anyone could think that was "super cute."