Saturday, December 13, 2008
Picky Eaters
I am the only eater in my house that is not super picky...which probably explains why I am always battling my weight. However, it gets exhausting trying to cook to everyone else's likes and avoid their dislikes. I keep saying I am not a short order cook, but several meals include three different entrees in an effort to reduce complaints and temper tantrums. I should probably use the word "entree" loosely. After all, sometimes that entree ends up being cereal. My youngest, started with her eating issues at about 7 or 8 months. In fact, we had tests done because she never put ANY THING in her mouth. Nothing. Where most kids at this age explore with their mouths she steered clear of getting anything near hers. She was diagnosed with oral aversion, and this situation caused her to be very delayed at feeding herself, and eating different foods. For a period of time, I seriously thought she would enter adulthood only eating oatmeal, yogurt, and sweets. This last year, her menu has tripled though, and we have added grilled cheese, Honey Nut Cheerios, cheese pizza (only certain kinds though), and two vegetables. The first breakthrough in the vegetable department was broccoli. That happened a little over a month ago. I about fell out of my chair when she ate some, and if you ask her she will tell you emphatically that she likes broccoli. The other night, I decided to fix my family a new vegetable, one that has never been made in my house before, but one that I truly like. I steamed the vegetable, put one on my youngest's plate and two on my eldest's. My husband took a mandatory sampling, because as the dad he has to set the good example. Brussels Sprouts. Frankly, I was just sick of green beans and broccoli, because that is all my kids will even try to eat. My eldest gagged her way through half of one, eyes watering. I thought it was a little excessive, but was glad she at least tried it. My youngest popped a whole one in her mouth, chewed it up, and said, "Mmm. I like brussel sprouts!" I was completely shocked. "Do you want more?" She nodded and I gave her another one. It was the craziest thing I had ever witnessed. She ate that too. My husband dutifully ate a hand full, but I noticed he didn't go back for seconds. Truthfully, even though I like brussel sprouts there are only so many one can eat, and I did have to discard some. But it was a small victory. And Brussels sprouts will be on the menu again in the near future.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'm shocked too. Yuck!! :)
remind me not to come over when they reappear on the menu.... I am totally with C. on the sprouts!
Post a Comment