Friday, January 23, 2009

Jackpot!

My car needed washing, like most of the cars in middle America I am sure.  So I took out some cash from the ATM, and my husband and I went in search of a car wash that was not super busy.  It took minimal legwork, and we found one that had an automatic car wash, as well as a manual car wash.  My husband decided that if he did it himself it would be cheaper, and I didn't care as long as he removed the majority of salt from my car.  I handed him my $20 bill, and said that there was a guy working the window that could probably give him change.  He disappeared around the corner, and I waited, and waited.  Finally, he returns with hands cupped wide, as I realize he is coming back with ALL quarters.   I put my window down, "What, he couldn't give you bills?"  And my husband sheepishly admits, "Actually, I put it in the 'changer' machine.  I had never put a $20 bill in one of those before."  I was flabbergasted. What exactly did he think was going to happen?  It was much worse than the post office. I put a $20 bill in a stamp machine once, but at least I got back $1 coins.  He hands over 80 quarters to me, and says, "It was kind of exciting.  It was like I had just hit the jackpot, because the quarters just kept coming and coming."  Yeah, except the $20 was already ours to begin with.  The car wash cost a mere 16 quarters, and now I am trying to figure out where I can pay for things in all quarters without being completely annoying.

2 comments:

Jaymie said...

I am thinking allowance money or incentives for extra chores....

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the laugh. You're probably going to need another car wash in a couple of days.