Thursday, January 22, 2009

Not So Handy

Tonight all heck broke loose during my dinner preparation.  It is like my family signed a pact to go looney at the same time.  My kids were screaming about inane things, my dog was howling, and my husband called expecting me to idly chit chat with him on his drive home.  During this fiasco I overcooked the rice, and then I burned my fingers on the grill, specifically my thumb and index finger on my right hand.  At that point, I was done.  I had hit my wall of being able to multi-task in the chaos.  My husband had arrived home at this point, and I pointed to the remaining meat yet to make it to the grill.  "If you want to eat, you fix it."  My fingers throbbed and I ran them under cold water and then held ice for a while.  We managed to get through dinner and clean-up without my fingers causing me much pain.  Therefore, when we left after dinner to run errands I thought little about my fingers.  I drove, because I was going to drop my husband off to get a haircut, and about two miles from our house the pain began again in my fingers.  I could barely concentrate on my driving.  Finally, in desperation, I placed my thumb and index finger on the cold window while I drove, somewhat awkward since it was my right hand, but the coolness afforded me some relief.  My husband looked over and said, "Are you giving someone the "loser" sign?"  I looked down at my hand, and sure enough my fingers were placed to give relief to the burns, thus making a perfect L shape or loser sign.  I started to giggle, because I had been driving this way for a bit, and had even been stopped at a stoplight.  It did look like I was going to a lot of effort to signal to other drivers that they were "losers".  While my husband was getting his haircut, I ran a quick errand and then came back to wait for him.  The inside coolness of the window wasn't cutting it anymore, so I opened the window and touched the outside.  Then I decided the window was down to far, and hit the up button, just to make sure it would go up a bit, of course my window did not stop, hence it then crushed my fingers.  Which hurt like heck.  The plus side to this is that it distracted me from the throbbing burning sensation on my fingertips, and I  focused on the bone crushing sensation at the knuckles.  Really, I couldn't take it anymore.  I had to drive all the way home to get an ice pack.  My husband deemed me pathetic, and took over the driving from there.  The crazy thing is there aren't even any blisters where I burned myself, just little indentations, so you wouldn't think it would hurt as badly as it does.  I think I will survive, but it has not been a pleasant evening.

No comments: