Sunday, March 18, 2012

In the Middle

Lately, I feel like I am the cream filling in an oreo. Don't get me wrong, that is the sweetest spot, so I guess in that regard it is good. I am AWFULLY sweet! However, I am not a fan of being in the middle of things; specifically other people's drama.  Do people think I am wise? Is that why they lay their drama at my feet, seeking my sage advice (ha!)? Or is their motive to just try and suck me into the drama as well, so that I choose a side? 

Let me be clear.  I rarely choose sides, especially with my own children.  Parenting has taught me, that usually both people enmeshed in the drama, have co-contributed to the mess in some manner. Complete innocence or blamelessness is very rare.  

I work hard to guard my tongue, though I don't always succeed.  When someone brings their woes to me about another person or how they have been wronged, I strive to listen, and allow them to be heard.  If I have a past experience that can relate, and is benign enough to share and provide insight, I will do that.  But I work hard not to be baited into saying something I might regret, family is unfortunately exempt here, because I can be baited by family members.  They know exactly which buttons to push. 

I find myself measuring my words very carefully in these recent situations, so that what I say cannot be misconstrued, but there is a part of me, that sometimes wants to scream the absolute truth. To declare all parties involved immature and ridiculous or just plain petty.  I have noted, that most drama, occurs because of a distinct lack of honesty. Not the kind of honesty that is meant to hurt someone deliberately, but the honesty that is spoken because you care about a person or because it is the right thing to be done.  That type of honesty may sting a bit when first dispensed, but in the end, respect or growth is generally the result.  I don't pretend that it is an easy road to walk, but it saves a lot of drama along the way.


No comments: