See, I don't answer my door. Ever. If I am not expecting your knock, just forget it. That is just how I roll. Usually, I can be fairly covert about my avoidance. My van is generally parked in the garage, we never have loud music blaring, and I have lights on, regardless of whether I am at home or not. So most of the time, people are oblivious to the fact that I am completely ignoring their knock (until now). Tonight was a different story though. We are in the midst of perpetual home renovations, or so it seems, and our garage has become the workshop. This means, both of our cars are parked in the driveway. Couple that with my kids watching television at a rather loud volume, and it was obvious we were home.
I was in the bedroom cleaning, when I heard the knock. It was a goofy knock, to the beat of some song. A knock that would be something like what my husband would do, and since he was working in the garage, I wondered if he had come around to the front door to get my attention. It was dark out and after 8pm, which in my opinion is a highly inappropriate time to be making solicitations of any kind, religious or otherwise, so I didn't have my covert radar in operation. I walked quite blatantly to my front door, yeah, the front door that has a giant glass oval centerpiece that people can see through easily. Actually they have to stoop a bit to see in, which in my opinion is slightly rude, but I have learned to accept this bit of voyeurism over the years. It really is terribly tempting to check and see if someone is coming to answer the knock. I get that. But, it has also taught me to be stealthy, usually.
Tonight, I was about three feet from the door when I saw the suits. I KNOW the suits saw me too. I ducked back into the hallway to avoid further exposure, and hoped they would take the diss in stride, and promptly depart. Clearly, I did not want to be disturbed, they would respect that, right? Instead, this sighting of me encouraged further knocking. Different variations of songs kept being tapped on my front door. My dog, was going crazy. My kids kept hollering, "Mom someone is at the door!" My husband was quite visible through the garage window sawing away on 2x4's. Everyone and everything was working against me, but I was resolved. I was NOT opening the door. Give me a kid selling candy any day. I have no problem crushing their little spirits with a, "Nope, sorry, we are on diets at this house. Better luck next door." My husband, he caves to those candy toting kiddos. But people trying to sell you on their religion, they tend to be really pushy. The times where I have been waylaid by well-meaning religious peddlers, and informed them that I am a Christian and attend church regularly, etc. they try to tell me on how their beliefs are right and mine are wrong. That annoys me. I feel like my home is my haven, and when people come to my home, it better not be to tell me what I am doing wrong. It is one thing, if I go seeking enlightenment on political issues, religious views, or ridiculously expensive, but tasty, candy bars, but I don't like being invaded on my own turf without invitation.
I realize, this philosophy seemingly goes against the principle of evangelism, Mark 16:15 "go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation", and maybe I should be more vigilant about spreading The Truth. However, I think the distinction is, that people need to be open to it. It shouldn't be an issue that is forced. So in summation, knock, and my door won't be opened.
No comments:
Post a Comment