Sunday, June 10, 2012

What To Do?

My children encountered a fairly distressing dilemma this afternoon, at least from their perspective. They each had a bowl of ice cream following an afternoon at the pool, and they topped it off with a bit of chocolate syrup and a bit of carmel syrup, because ice cream can almost always be improved upon with toppings. 5 minutes later my eldest announced, "Mom! We still have carmel syrup left, but we finished all of the chocolate! What are we going to do?" Her tone was urgent and perplexed, yet I detected just a hint of hope in the mix. It amazed me that this was even considered a problem, not to mention a big enough problem to bring it to me. The appropriate mom answer that I gave was, "Put it back in the refrigerator, and if I ever buy ice cream again we can use it then." I really shouldn't buy any more ice cream. Ever. If it is in the house I canNOT resist temptation, but I digress. Her response was a fairly deflated, "OH." Then I heard her whisper to her sibling in crime, "Mom said we have to put it back." Clearly that wasn't the answer she was hoping for, which made me ponder what response would have been received more enthusiastically. Should I have said, "Oh no!  Throw it away! It has no purpose without ice cream in the house!" Or, "Well, we can't let that go to waste.  Everyone grab a spoon and we will squeeze out carmel syrup and eat it until it is gone!" (More likely what she was hoping to hear). Or, "Carmel milk for everyone!" (Probably wouldn't have balked at that one either.)  Truthfully, I adore carmel, but the thought of carmel milk sounds slightly revolting. I am not sure why, and it could be positively delightful, but I wasn't going to okay that concoction after a bowl of ice cream anyway.  I gathered however, by their pervasive disappointment that the last two options were the what they were angling for and instead I thwarted them. If only all dilemmas were this easy to solve!

No comments: