Sunday, June 3, 2012

He IS a Stud

Yesterday we had our first ever garage sale. It was kind of on the fly, as we did zero advertising until the day before, which included two emails to a large homeschool group we are part of, a Craigslist advertisement, and then posting street signs the day of the sale. Actually, I was surprised by the steady stream of customers we had all day. Everyone that came was calmly greeted by the official welcoming committee, our labradoodle.  He would politely wag his tail, and then accept head pats and butt rubs.  Thankfully, most everyone that showed up were "dog people".  In fact, several commented on how great he was behaving, and as a proud doggy parent, I had to agree that he was. The only time he got a little rambunctious was when a cat invaded his territory, presumably to shop and take in the great bargains. It was a rather bold cat, as he wandered all the way into our garage to check things out. Our dog, once spotting the intruder chased the cat to the very end of our driveway, and then stopped, watching it cross the street.  He knows his boundaries and does not take advantage of them.  Have I mentioned he's a smart dog?  A couple of people asked if he was "for sale", HA! 

When one man approached, taking particular interest in my furry baby, I prepared myself for another version of the "Is He For Sale" joke.  Instead, he commented on his disposition, his looks, and then asked if he was fixed.  Embarrassed, we admitted that he was not.  Back when we purchased our little guy, it was shortly after we had lost our labrador retriever due to issues that were discovered during a surgery.  He was put to sleep at that time, and I really hadn't recovered from that incident.  Because of that, I kept putting off the neutering surgery, besides, he was such a cute little puppy I imagined what the world would be like if we populated it with more furry bundles just like him.  The problem was, we never found the "right girl" for him.  And we knew, that as responsible pet owners we should probably have him fixed by now. The guy was elated to hear that our dog had all his necessary "accessories", which I thought was weird, but then he offered a breeding proposition with his 2 year old female labradoodle.  At first I was taken aback, I mean, yes, we were selling all sorts of things at our garage sale and doing a whole lot of bargaining, but it seemed a little odd to sell THAT. However, as the idea took root throughout the day, I became more and more excited.  Basically, the part that I like best, is that as our dog gets a few years older, if things go well with this, then we can have one of his offspring someday. 

So, I had my husband call the guy back tonight to express our mutual interest.  Yesterday, the man took our dog's picture with his phone. I guess he was eagerly awaiting a call from us, because  he immediately recognized our name, and went on to enthusiastically say that he had shown our dog's picture to his dog, and she was "very excited". That made us laugh. My eldest wanted to know how it works for dogs, she asked, "Do you put on music for them? Do they have a date first?" It does seem like there should be some wining or whining and dining first, doesn't it? Maybe we can find a little doggy bow tie for him to wear. Anyway, that was one thing I never expected to "sell" at our garage sale yesterday. 

1 comment:

caseycockerham said...

So, is this legal? Are you guys considered pimps now?