Thursday, October 4, 2012
Surprisingly Calm
Over the last couple of weeks, I have had a few dark spots removed from my fair skin. The results came back mostly good from the first round of biopsies. Two areas were fine, and one had abnormal/atypical cells. Today I had to go back in and have that abnormal spot re-shaved. There was also a spot we were "watching", but given my atypical results, that spot was removed today as well. I will get the biopsy results in 10 to 14 days for this round. Bottom line, I need to be vigilant now about checking my skin. Left untreated, those spots would likely develop into melanoma. Anyone that knows me, knows that words like melanoma would normally send me into a tailspin, but instead I am surprisingly calm. I think, simply knowing I need to be proactive and have my skin checked regularly, has helped me to feel grounded. The more I get checked by a professional, the more I know what kind of spots to look for, which helps my frame of mind too. For now, I am going on the six month skin check plan, per the doctor. It is just one of those things that I have to do. That being said, I am going to turn this into a PSA...ha! If you haven't had a skin check and you are mid-thirties or older, then get it done. Pronto! When I paid my bill today, for the last round of procedures, it was pricey. I sent my husband an email, and complained. Ever the wise one, he responded, "Well, how much are cancer treatments? Let's put this into perspective." And that, is that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment