Wednesday, July 23, 2008
Is Ice Cream Really That Good?
Today I took my youngest in for a six month check-up with the ENT. Things went well in the ear department, but I mentioned my youngest's monthly throat ailments, and that opened up a whole new can of worms. The doctor was fairly convinced that we needed to remove the tonsils and adenoids. I was more than a little surprised, considering our pediatrician was debating as of last month whether we should even bother seeing an ENT or not for the issue. Since, I was already there for the ears, I figured I would just mention it. Apparently, this ENT measures the need for tonsil and adenoid removal by the occurrences of strep throat, 3 cases in a 12 month time period means they should be removed. We have had 3 cases in a 7 month time period, and then throat problems that look like strep, but are not. My youngest has had throat cultures every month since December, although this month we have been able to avoid it, knock on wood. I am in a bit of a quandary. Truthfully, I am not psyched about the idea of surgery. Especially, one where we are required to stay overnight. There is that small hope that maybe we are coming out of the problems since we have been okay this month, but then it is warm weather, and my kids just tend to be sick less in the summer. The ENT did not believe that the throat problems would go away though. At the very least, we are probably going to get a second opinion. I want to do what is best for my little one. I just don't know what that is.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment