Friday, January 2, 2009
Looking for Balance
Is it possible to feel energized and overwhelmed all at once? If so, those would be the two words describing my attitude today. I am trying to get my ducks in a row regarding the new year, our homeschooling activities starting again next week, and the several extracurricular activities reconvening next week as well. In addition, my family is trying to work out a schedule of taking care of grandma, making sure she has someone to help her out with day to day things. That will take probably at least two or three hours one day a week as I will be on the "schedule". But today is the first day in awhile that I have felt energized to even contemplate upcoming tasks and events. The last several days have more or less been about "avoidance". In fact, I have managed to finagle two movies this week alone at the movie theater. My family hardly ever goes to the movies at the theater, but it is the best place to sit back and get lost in another world. Until today, I haven't even felt like picking up a book to read, but even that desire is starting to return. At the same time, this return of energy, has also brought feelings of burden. I am already looking at my 2009 schedule with some trepidating, and feeling like there is so much to do, that I am not sure when I will be able to get it all done. I don't want to live my life in a blur of activities, that I do, but don't enjoy. My kids need routine and stability, but at the same time, they need time to just "be", without us running out the door to do "something". So, as I look at our schedule and upcoming events, my theme for 2009 is going to be about "balance". I am going to learn to say "no", to things that don't benefit my entire family. My resolution this year is to back off on overcommiting myself.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Brandy,
Sounds like a good idea to me - simplify. However, it is easier said than done.
Bobbie
Post a Comment