There are some days, that as a parent, your parenting skills fall short. You start to wonder, where exactly did I go wrong? How did this day go to hell in a hand basket so quickly? My eldest informed me this morning, after several sarcastic comments and snarls towards anyone that came near her, that it wasn't her talking, but "the grouch". I can confirm, that there was a grouch in the house, but it had morphed into a striking replica of my kid. Then the day held the usual sibling arguments, whining about chores, protesting and complaints about dinner, and disobedience in a local home improvement store.
When we got back into our van from our errand, I was exhausted and anxious to arrive home. My husband on the other hand says, "Milkshakes for the whole family?" I was flabbergasted. All of that, and he wanted to treat them to milkshakes? I said, "The last thing they need in their system is sugar. No, we will skip the milkshakes. Not to mention they didn't even eat their dinner!" After my reminder, he was quickly on board with me, much to my children's dismay. However, he detoured to Chick-Fil-A anyway, and it became clear that he was getting us milkshakes but not the kids. I never drink milkshakes. If the family gets milkshakes I usually treat myself to a pop instead. But tonight, I could see he wanted to make a point. It was clear our children didn't believe he would just order two milkshakes and not get them anything. He wouldn't be that cruel. Deprive his precious angels of the sweet cool pleasure of a milkshake? Yep, he sure did. I have to say here, that the wailing in the car after the order was placed and before we reached the window for pick-up, was so loud, that I was almost embarrassed to stop at the window long enough to get our drinks. All the way home, crying, empty promises, anger, begging, attempts at manipulation. Silently, I drank my shake and "ignored" the din in the backseat. After we arrived home, I could tell my husband felt bad about leaving them out of the shake run, I did not. He said to me, "You don't seem too remorseful about drinking a milkshake in front of the kids. Don't you feel bad for them?" To which I had only one answer, "Um, HECK no!" For him, there was only the dinner fiasco and Lowe's insanity for him to reference. Me? I had a whole day of events that eased any guilt I might of had over being "so mean". And seriously, I had none.Not one iota. So, you see...it was important that I drink a milkshake tonight, it was to teach my kids a lesson. And a lesson never tasted SO good.
2 comments:
That is so awesome. I think we may need to try that one!
LOL :)
Post a Comment