Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Homeschool Fun

It is that time of year again. Public school children are back in class, so I get the evil eye when I am out and about with my school-aged homeschooled child. Today, we went to the library after a morning doctor's appointment, and the librarian kept shooting me strong looks of disapproval. Maybe I need to fashion a sign to hang around my daughter's neck that says, "I'm homeschooled...stop staring." I try not to do random or unnecessary outings during normal school hours for this specific reason, but it was our school system's first day back, and I had forgotten. It really isn't anyone's business, as long as my daughter is getting her schooling done, but I can't help feeling like I am doing something wrong. At least the library is somewhat educational, right? I am excited about a new year of homeschooling though. We started our lessons three weeks ago, and we are doing some interesting things this year. Not to mention, I think we might be able to attend a few more field trips, because my youngest is getting old enough to get something out of them, and not drive me completely insane...well, that is my hope anyway. In a few weeks, my eldest even gets to attend school in a one room schoolhouse with 24 other children. They are supposed to wear 1800's garb, and bring their lunches in a pail or basket. The only bathroom is an actual outhouse. I can't wait to get pictures of her outfit. It is an actual school day, taught by a teacher, and while I can't stay to watch, the schoolhouse is too small, my daughter will have some friends that she knows attending with her.

Now that school has started, this also signifies the start of the fall mayhem. Next week begins the craziness, and I am looking forward to being back in a schedule. When this past May came along I was all too ready to say goodbye to our weekly commitments, one by one. So, it is with some surprise that I am eager for them to start again; piano, dance, AWANA, homeschool gym, homeschool co-op, and regular field trips. Sometimes, I think people don't realize how much a homeschool mom is on the go, well, at least this homeschool mom.

I am off to bed...it's a school night!

1 comment:

Jaymie said...

Your library needs to get a clue. I remember running into all sorts of homeschoolers at our library last year during the school year. They should see themselves as a resource and a help rather than a judge. Just my opinion - soldier on!