Sunday, August 30, 2009
Old by Association
Today I was working in the nursery at our church and I had a new volunteer helping me. She is a young woman that has a 5 year old boy and a 2 year old boy. We were chatting while we worked, and she mentioned that she had graduated from Purdue University. Of course, I had to comment that my husband had also attended Purdue, and then came the question..."Really? What year did he graduate?" If I had to guess, I would say at the most, that this woman is MAYBE 28. Maybe. I kind of laughed and I said, "Oh, I am sure he graduated long before you did." She pressed the issue anyway, obviously thinking I was exaggerating, so finally I said, "1993". Her face was classic, "Oh. Wow." Then I was a little offended, "Oh wow, what?" I wanted to ask. "Oh, wow, you are really old?" I am surprised she didn't say, "You look surprisingly young for being that old. Where is your walker?" I am still reconciling MYSELF with the fact that I am no longer a recent college grad or newly married anymore, but I really don't need someone else pointing it out, especially someone young and beautiful. Sigh.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Did it make you want to point out that there is a "significant" age difference between you and your husband? =-)
Most definitely! :)
Post a Comment