Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Anniversary Adversity

On a day to day basis I think my husband is fairly brilliant. He has so much knowledge about things and can learn new concepts quickly, sometimes it blows my mind. He just absorbs information. That being said, when it comes to understanding me, sometimes I think he needs to enroll in some sort of special education classes. After 11 years of marriage, you would think, that he would just KNOW how to read me. Clearly, that is not the case. This weekend is our 11th wedding anniversary. We had agreed that we would take Saturday, starting in the afternoon, and do a few special things that I have been wanting to do. We would cap that off with dinner and a movie in the evening. Last night, my in-laws called to say they wanted to come over this weekend. Let me say specifically that I do not mind them coming to visit, BUT, I was a little annoyed with my husband. My in-laws wanted to come on Saturday, now in my perfect imaginary world I would have thought my husband would say something like this, "Hey, that is great that you want to come visit, but we already have plans on Saturday, how about another day?" Instead, he comes to me and asks if it is a problem. That question alone was the problem. Not his parents' visiting. Clearly, Saturday was not that important to him or he wouldn't have asked me in the first place if we could just scrap our anniversary plans. To make it worse, he then says, sensing he should probably do SOMETHING for our anniversary, "could you guys come earlier in the day, that way I can at least take her out to dinner or something." Gee, that was oozing with romance. Perhaps my expectations are too high...or my husband really just doesn't get me. At any rate, he has made the faux pas, so there is no going back, because NOW I would probably just be annoyed at another plan change. Please tell me that by 20 years they have this anniversary stuff down pat.

1 comment:

Jaymie said...

Wow, he is really in the dog house on this one, huh? Wow....