Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Reality Check

The other night I was trying to jog my husband's memory about an actress. I said, "She was in that one movie with Ryan Reynolds." To which he said, "Who is Ryan Reynolds?" This completely exasperated me. How could he not know who Ryan Reynolds was? He saw countless previews for The Proposal. Finally, since his laptop was on his lap, he just googled Ryan Reynolds, because my explanations obviously were not doing the trick. He clicked on the first picture link, and when the picture filled the screen, both of us sat speechless looking at a shirtless Ryan Reynolds. After a long silence, my husband said, "I guess he has a nice chest, huh?" Let me state, that I am not usually taken in by pictures, but WOW! All I could think was, "Well done God!" To my husband's somewhat rhetorical question I answered, "He has quite a few nice things going on there; like his six-pack abs and well-defined arms." I think my candid reply offended my husband. Realizing I was still gawking in pure admiration, my husband closed the webpage, ego deflated. There is no way I could redeem the situation, "Aw honey, you're cute too," didn't quite cut it. But quite honestly, if he looked like Ryan Reynolds, then I would feel compelled to TRY and look like Scarlett Johannson, and nothing short of a boob job and liposuction would get me there. So, while he is great to look at in pictures, I think having a man like that in reality would be a drag...mostly...for the long haul anyway.

4 comments:

Jaymie said...

You could at least include a link to the picture so we could all see what caught your attention! =-)

Shakespeare Mom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shakespeare Mom said...

http://dietrichthrall.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/ryanreynolds.jpg

Scott said...

You women and your objectification of men, holding us to that impossible standard.