A few months ago, my mother relinquished a plethora of teaching aids to me to help in my homeschooling venture. For some reason, I selected life-size paper heads of Abraham Lincoln and George Washington. Looking back, I am not sure why I took those, out of all the presidents I am pretty sure that those are the two my kids would actually recognize without any prompting. I loaded my goods into the van and brought them home. Unfortunately, as I have mentioned earlier, my van has cleanliness issues. Issues that I finally rectified yesterday, for the most part, and apparently Abe Lincoln resurfaced. After my removal of trash, toys, and debris, Abe Lincoln must have slid loose in a drive later yesterday, because I did not see him while I was de-crapping the van. My youngest found him, and studied his face. "Abraham Lincoln wasn't very good looking was he?" she asked. This spurred on a conversation about a program that my husband and I had seen on The History Channel, hypothesizing that Abraham Lincoln actually suffered from the disease, multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2B, and that his assassination probably only shortened his life by about a year. We talked about the assassination of Abraham Lincoln, and my eldest asked, "What play were they seeing?" My husband said, "It doesn't matter, no one got to see the end." In case you don't already know, it was "Our American Cousin", I googled it when I got home.
Somehow, Abe did NOT make it out of the van last night. So he rode around with us again today, eliciting more presidential conversation. Toward the end of our outing I had to make a quick stop at the store, which ended up being less quick than I anticipated. Abe was forgotten, at least by me, as he stayed in the van. When we finally emerged from the store, I about wet my pants. My van was in the front spot, and there was a man's face staring out of the window at me on the passenger side. I stopped in my tracks, and gasped audibly. It took about 10 seconds to realize that it was Abraham Lincoln. My little stinker had perched Abe's head against the window, and there he was, keeping watch on the car. The kiddos thought it was hilarious that mommy was scared by Abe Lincoln. That will teach me to clean my van better the next time. I am sincerely hoping that George's head doesn't resurface in the van anytime soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment