Thursday, May 5, 2011
Strike A Pose
I have succumbed to the peer pressure. You heard it here first, I am going to Vogue, Vogue, Vogue, and try not to let my body move too much to the music. 14 parents, one lovestruck boyfriend, and one dance teacher that clearly needs to serve alcohol prior to teaching us to "dance". Being one of the tallest volunteer schmucks, I did benefit a back row placement, I was excited about that, BUT that means I have to catwalk first on to the stage. Less excited about that. Then we are responsible for striking our own pose. What the heck? I can't be expected to produce my own material, isn't that why there is a teacher? A few hip shakes, and jazz squares later, more walking and posing, and that took us an HOUR! With all that choreography, we got about 30 seconds into the song. I am here to say that there is little hope for us to get our acts together by the recital in June. Two of the moms that have had prior dance experience got placement front and center, but then the teacher has the back line move to the front, then the middle, and then to the back again. No one in the back can dance, so we lose our "leaders" when the front row is gone. In my opinion, the teacher needs to spread the talent around a little better. Usually, when there is a really good dancer on stage your eye naturally gravitates toward that person, but with no one good in our row, the audience is going to gravitate to the biggest train wreck. Yeah, I am pretty sure that will be me. We were also told to select our costume from our closet, preferably something that one would have worn in the 80's. I am not sure if that is an implication that we all lack style, or that we are all old enough to have clothes left from that era. Either way, I am not sure what Madonna-esque outfit I can produce, unless I get some posterboard and make a cone shaped glitter bra out of it. At one point my 9 yo, peeked her head in, and apparently announced to the other kids in the waiting area, "They are doing some moves in there that parents should never do!" While in my case, I actually second that assessment, some of the moms looked surprisingly excited to be cutting loose. It will take a lot more practice, and several amaretto sours before I will ever be comfortable shaking what my mama gave me. I hope my kid appreciates the sacrifices I make for her. And FYI, tickets are $5, and DVD's are roughly $40. So, unless you feel like coughing up the dough, you won't be seeing any photographic evidence of this dance.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Ok, so we need to make a trip to the thrift store soon to find your perfect outfit
Don't forget to tease your hair and wear blue mascara:)
I will be coughing up the $5 to see this.
Post a Comment