The other day I told my eldest that we needed to get some chores done. I left the room for a moment, and when I returned my eldest was nowhere to be seen. However, I noticed that my living room curtains were all bunched together in the middle behind our couch. Instantly, I said, "Just because you are hiding behind the couch does not mean you are going to get out of doing chores." My eldest popped up, "Mom, How did you know where I was?" Figuring it was in my best interests not to reveal the power of my observational skills I simply said, "Because Moms know everything. Now get to work."
Then last night we were sitting at the dinner table, and my eldest said, "Mom, guess what my favorite word beginning with 'R' is?" Tired and in little mood to play games I guessed halfheartedly. "Red?", "Run?", "Read?" None of those were correct. Then my eldest asked, "Guess what my favorite 'M' word is?" I jokingly said, "Mom?" Nope, that wasn't right either. My eldest studied me intently and said accusingly, "Mom, I thought you were supposed to know EVERYTHING. You said that the other day." Blast! I was caught in my own web of deceit. Instead of owning up to my fallacy, I said, "Well it only works when Moms aren't tired, and I am very tired tonight, so that is why I can't do this game well." I figure my children will find out sooner or later that I don't know everything, but in the meantime I like to think that they will believe that it is completely pointless to try and "pull one over on me".
No comments:
Post a Comment