The other day I found this letter written by my eldest to the Easter Bunny. I am typing it in exactly as it was written.
Hello easter bunny,
Thank you for the stuff.
I have met you before.
I love you becos you are you.
Love,
me
p.s. I am real.
I have to wonder if the postscript was added because my child is looking for validation that the Easter Bunny is also real. I haven't had to field any questions yet about his reality, but I am just waiting for them to start coming. I was asked however, if the Easter Bunny had to visit as many places as Santa Claus. My eldest seemed skeptical that this was possible, because after all the Easter Bunny does not have elf helpers. So, I tap danced around that and said only the people that believed in Jesus and his resurrection believed in the true meaning of Easter, and therefore the Easter Bunny only visited them. Many less people than Santa Claus. The sacrilege! Some days I wonder if it is worth the farce when I have to create these fanciful details about the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, and the Tooth Fairy, but I hold onto the rationale that they are not children for long, so why not let them have their fun?
As for thanking the Easter Bunny for "the stuff"in the letter, I am guessing that my smart little cookie thinks a belated Thank You note for last year's goodies is better than nothing, plus it will seal the deal for more "stuff" this year.
No comments:
Post a Comment