Monday, March 3, 2008
Good Idea Gone Bad
Why does working on projects around the house always sound like a great idea BEFORE you actually start them? For four years my husband and I have been staring at ugly gold walls in our bedroom. Walls that were painted so poorly that streaks of the color that preceded the gold (maybe blue or green?) were visible through the paint. Every other room in this house has been painted at least once since we moved in, so I finally decided to bite the bullet and paint our room. Of course, the fact that my in-laws are coming this weekend and staying in our room was a nice motivator. I began yesterday with cheerful enthusiasm, because I could envision how great my room would look once it was done. Two hours into my project that enthusiasm waned to tolerance, and four hours in I was struggling with back pain and grumbling about my misplaced ambition. What was I thinking? I hate painting! What is more, I would like to note a personal pet peeve. I implore anyone that is ever tempted to paint, to please, please, pull out a screwdriver first, and remove the outlet plates. It is not hard, and all plates can be removed in under five minutes, unless of course the heartless boob that lived in the house before you painted over them. That was my predicament. And thanks to the previous owner's laziness, I have managed to pry off a good amount of plaster along with the aforementioned outlet plates. Grrrrrr. But the room is done, with the exception of the doors. I will conquer those tomorrow, and then I will wait at least another six months before I tackle another home project that involves painting. By that time I will probably have forgotten how much it makes my back hurt.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment