Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Certified Pessimist

Today we had a notice in our mailbox that we have a certified letter waiting for us at the post office. Does a certified letter EVER convey good news? I have only received maybe two in my entire life, and neither one has been pleasant. The fact that the letter has arrived from the same city that our rental house resides in, is further confirmation that it probably isn't anything that I want to hear. I told my husband that he is in charge of retrieving it; besides, it is made out to him. In addition, I loathe going to the post office with children. It doesn't matter if the line appears to be short, it never moves swiftly. By the time I make it to the counter my humor is sorely tested, so whatever I am receiving had better be worth the wait. This certified letter holds little promise of that, so I am boycotting the trip. At this point, I really don't think I can handle anymore stress. My mind automatically thinks of the worst thing that letter can contain, and unfortunately, until I see differently, I can't make myself believe it reads otherwise. I found a quote not to long ago that fits my perspective perfectly. "The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised." I hope tomorrow's letter reveals the latter, but I doubt it.

No comments: