Tuesday, October 7, 2008
Cast Off
It has been 57 days, and the cast is finally off! My little one cried as her cast was cut and removed. I think she had gotten used to the extra protection and she was fearful of not having that anymore. It also seemed as though she still expected her arm to hurt. She did not want anyone to touch her arm and she kept it close to her body, even resorting to kicking at the doctor to keep him away. The arm is still slightly bowed, and may be that way for up to a year according to the doctor. She needs a growth spurt to straighten it out more. The x-rays looked good though, so for that I am thankful. As she whimpered in my lap at the doctor's office, she said to me, "Mommy, I cannot relevé with an arm like this." That by the way, is a ballet step where you raise on your toes and put your arms overhead, and since ballet was tonight that concern was forefront on her mind. Truly pathetic. It made me want to cry for her. I told her that she should just try her best and just do what she could do. Our biggest problem today, other than the fact that she was reluctant to bend her arm at the elbow, was the sheer quantity of peeling skin. In addition, her arm broke out with a not so lovely red rash later this evening. I tried to take a layer of the skin off and then moisturize it, but believe me, it didn't help the rash or the peeling. Hopefully in the next couple of days that will have resolved itself. In the meantime, I find her constantly scratching and leaving piles of dead skin in her wake. My husband joked about the vast amount of DNA she was leaving behind wherever we went tonight. I predict by the weekend she will have probably forgotten to favor her arm, but we shall see. The doctor was fairly confident that at her age she will bounce back quickly.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment