Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Political Poop

Have you ever noticed that politics bring out the worst in people? Not just politicians, but average everyday people that include your friends, family, co-workers, and acquaintances. Most people don't share the same opinions on absolutely everything, and we all seem to coexist reasonably well on a day to day basis (when it is not election time), but politics, for some reason, brings out the nasty side of people. In one brief moment, you can go from someone's respected equal to a complete moron in their eyes if you don't share the same political beliefs or agenda. I love how people make assumptions when you are part of one group or another, that has nothing to do with politics, that you must share the same political views. Over the last two months, I have received more political emails from people, both Republican and Democrat, that make assumptions regarding how my vote will be cast. As the emails come in, I generally just trash them now, because they never really convey any information that is 100% accurate or pertinent. Quite honestly, neither candidate makes me want to do cart wheels, but I guess that is the nature of the beast when you are living in a fallen world...you have to deal with flawed human beings and beliefs. However, there are some things I do like about each candidate and their respective platforms. Hence my conundrum. Why, oh why, isn't there anyone VIABLE that runs in the middle? And no, Ralph Nader doesn't cut it. So, I will muddle through the next two weeks bombarded by condescending opinions, annoying ads, and thousands of yard signs declaring allegiance to one side or the other. And in the end, I will cast my vote, but I won't condemn people for not voting MY way. Instead, I will pray for whoever ends up in office, because as Christians we are called to pray for our leaders. That is the best I can do.

No comments: