Thursday, October 9, 2008

Minding Manners Momentarily

Today I took my 90 yr. old grandmother's dog to be groomed. My grandmother insisted on riding along and telling the groomer exactly what she wanted done, and after that we all (my grandmother and my kids) went out to breakfast. My children were surprisingly well-behaved this morning, sharing the crayons at the table, using please and thank you. It was a page straight out of a book on manners, and an unusual occurrence I might add. After breakfast, I dropped my grandmother off at home, and as she was getting out of the car, she passed gas. It wasn't quiet in the least. I expected to immediately hear giggles erupt from the backseat, but the appalling noise was met with complete silence. I was shocked, but pleased at their discretion. My grandmother apologized, and about this time I had to see what was going on with my children. I looked in the rear view mirror, and there sitting as primly as you please were both of my children pinching their noses closed with their index fingers and thumbs, not uttering a word. As soon as the door of the car shut however, the attitude changed dramatically. Laughter ensued, followed by their own personal "rip" fest, followed by more laughter. Yep, those are the kids I am used to.

No comments: