Tuesday, August 19, 2008
More Doctors
Today we had a follow-up X-ray on the broken arm. Our appointment lasted an hour and forty minutes, which was about an hour longer than I anticipated or desired. The two broken bones still appear re-aligned, for the most part, it was slightly off when they set it in the first place, and that hasn't changed in the last week. Anyway, the doctor showed me the x-rays as he was studying them. He stared at them for a long period of time, and then said, "Yeah, I guess this is okay." His enthusiasm level was less than desirable. It was almost as if someone asked him if he wanted paper or plastic at a grocery store, and he simply said, "Yeah, I guess plastic is okay." This response didn't really instill confidence in me. I said, "Is it really okay?" He paused, and then slowly said, "Yeah. It's okay." Again, no confidence whatsoever. This conversation had me on edge to say the least. Then he showed me the x-rays taken from last Monday, and I was shown a view that I did not have the opportunity to see last week, and let me just say, that was for the best. Seeing it today made me feel woozy, I probably would have broken down in hysterics last week. A little more edge entered my demeanor. Then somehow this week's upcoming tonsillectomy entered the conversation, and again, he says, "I guess you can go ahead with that." Although, he sounded doubtful. More edginess. At this point, I am surprised I didn't bounce my legs right off my body, as I nervously bounced them up and down. We finished the appointment by having the existing cast wrapped in purple. Although my youngest chose the color, a grand fit ensued, because Sunday we had a face painter paint butterflies on the original plaster cast to brighten it, and now these butterflies would be completely covered. By the time I arrived home, my child was inconsolable, and I almost was myself. Unfortunately, my day at the doctor's office was not over, my throat has been bothering me since last Thursday and has gotten progressively worse. So I went to see if it was anything more than just a stress induced problem. Turns out my throat WAS a mess, so now I am on antibiotics and a decongestant. The positive side of this was that I unloaded on my own doctor about today's earlier doctor visit, and he assured me that the bones would be fine...unless they were crisscrossed, which they weren't, at least not after they were set. He also eased my nerves some about the surgery, so even if I hadn't been sick, just talking to him helped level me out a bit. I leveled out a bit more after spending some time this evening in prayer. I am just ready to be on the other side of this drama. I am hoping this time next week we will all be doing well, or at least tolerable. Frankly, it has just been a lot to take in lately.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment