Monday, August 4, 2008

Pardon My....Spanish?

Tonight, my dog, aka self-designated antagonist of my children, stole a small inflatable ball from my youngest. For days we have been issuing warnings like, "don't let the dog get that", or "be careful he will pop that", but as we all know little children get careless. So, I am walking by the attempted retrieval scene, my youngest following fast on dog's heels saying, "Damn it Dog! Damn it Dog!" I stopped in my tracks. "What did you just say?" Perhaps I misunderstood. That is ALWAYS a preferable belief as opposed to knowing your three year old is swearing at the dog. My three year old impatiently said, "I SAID DAMN IT DOG!" Clearly, she believed my problem was early onset hearing loss. Great. The swearing was more than confirmed. I sat my little one on the couch, and began my parenting duty of interrogation. "Where did you hear that?" I was pretty sure I knew the answer, but I wanted to confirm my suspicions. My youngest answered,"Grandma D calls her dog 'damn it dog' when she steals her socks." Yep. That was what I thought. My grandmother at 90 is not the most discretionary when it comes to using certain phrases in front of my kids, especially when she is frustrated. Okay, now to clean up the mess. I said, "Honey, no matter what Grandma says, we should NOT say Damn it. That is a bad word. Don't say it anymore." Nonplussed, my youngest says, "But Mommy. 'Damn it' is SPANISH."

No comments: